Friday, February 20, 2009

20 February 2009

It is 6:30 pm on Friday night (although I won’t post this until much later because we STILL haven’t gotten the internet pass code!!), my roommates and I are watching some Australian TV, waiting for dinner, and planning our night of exploration in Sydney. Although we did have an “orientation” of Sydney yesterday, we do not feel confident on how to get around as we ran around for two solid hours on a scavenger hunt of the thirteen most popular spots in Sydney (yes, it was devastatingly hot and yes, there are blisters all over my feet!). After the scavenger hunt (my group unfortunately did not win), we went on a Sydney Harbour cruise and got great views of the popular and breathtaking Opera House and Harbour Bridge. A delicious Mongolian BBQ dinner followed and then we were left free to walkabout Sydney and find our own way home. My roommates and I were fairly optimistic on finding our way home with no trouble, but after conquering the bus portion of the trip (we did have to wait for a second bus because the first once was full), we got lost in the hill-ridden, winding streets of our neighborhood. It was dark, we were all exhausted, and we tried to go into the wrong house. Seriously, we actually walked onto the porch and knocked on the door of a house that was not ours. For all of you who think you know me, what was I doing as we were lost: 1) leading the group farther and farther into the wrong direction; 2) consulting the map printout that our host mom gave us under the dim light of the street lamp; or 3) squatting in a nearby neighbors yard dying of laughter and hoping not to wet myself as I had been due for a restroom stop since we were denied access to the first bus. Yes, I was girl number three.
So now, we have finally finished all of our scheduled orientation events, school starts on Monday, and we are embarking on our first weekend in Australia! And as I said before, tonight is devoted to Sydney, and tomorrow, weather permitting, will be an all day exhibition at Bondi Beach (sorry to all of you are in the blistering cold at home!).
I still have not tried Vegemite (although I did smell it, and it smells like straight yeast), and have not seen a kangaroo, koala, or any of the thousands of dangerous/poisonous animals that infest Australia. I am getting along with my roommates and host family really well, but I miss all of you! I hope to talk to you all on the Internet soon because we are hunting down our host brother Jared for the blasted password!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I am so glad you have a blog. So I got your text at like one in the morning saying you were heading to Australia. Glad you made it safely there. I am excited that you are having fun! Oh the high tea reminds me of Ireland. How is there tea compared to Ireland?? Well have fun on Monday at school, learn lots!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I´ll be checking this when I can this semester! I´m so glad that you ARE living with a host family and hope that you are getting excited about the semester ahead of you- I´m sure that you´re going to love it!

    ReplyDelete